Sometimes, in fixing a problem, you make it worse.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the idler screw kept working itself from where I set it (about 900 RPM) to nearly wide open at 2,800 RPM. That’s not good on the motor, not to mention my nerves. I’d take her out for a short while and she’d find herself idling too fast.
After consulting with “experts”, I decided to put a dab of Loctite on the threads. In their expert opinions, “That oughta hold it”. I got back from NAPA with the product in hand. I popped up the hood/bonnet and fired up the engine. With screwdriver in hand, I gave a light turn to the idler screw and…
IT POPPED OFF!!!
The head of the idler screw separated itself from the rest of the screw. There were curse words to follow. Then, I shut the hood, shut off the engine, and considered for the 40th time why I have a Little British Car. Then, I watched some pretty good playoff football games.
Today, it was 65F degrees and sunny in the late afternoon. I fired her up and drove to my friend’s shop, never idling less than 2,500 RPM. On the other hand, I had her up to a speed in excess of the posted limits, so there is that.
I removed the air filters and got the nut and body of the screw off the carb mounts. Then, I drove home, again at 2,500 RPM. But, with the wind in my hair and the sun on my skin. I will try to see if there is a match at our local Ace hardware store. Otherwise, I’ll order at $0.75 bolt and nut from Moss Motors and pay $12.00 in shipping.
Hey, I got 2 days of driving my MGB in January. That can’t be all bad.